The Director of Maintenance plans, coordinates, and controls all maintenance operations to ensure the highest aircraft safety and dispatch reliability by performing activities in accordance with the General Maintenance Manual (GMM), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules and regulations, Company and Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) maintenance programs.
- Manages all aspects of scheduled and unscheduled maintenance; develops and establishes standards, procedures, systems, training and guidelines for operational and functional areas, subordinate managers, supervisors and staff
- Provides safe, reliable, on-time, airworthy aircraft in support of customer requirements
- Ensures the safety of maintenance employees and work spaces
- Schedules and programs aircraft maintenance checks, engine inspections and time control component changes
- Directs and ensures that required training is provided and documented for maintenance personnel
- Responsible for ensuring the accuracy, counts, and security of maintenance inventory at all locations
- Responsible for monitoring, measuring, and reporting on maintenance vendors’ contractual compliance, rates and effectiveness of those contracts; vendor and third-party monitoring, working with the Manager of Safety, review and remediation of risk mitigation action plans, regular vendor audits on-site vendor visits, and development of vendor exit strategies.
- Provides leadership for subordinate managers and supervisors by establishing, assigning, prioritizing and tracking aviation maintenance goals, objectives and standards; assists subordinate managers and supervisors with coordination of personnel and equipment task assignments to ensure goals and objectives are met. Creates and manages performance improvement plans for maintenance personnel
- Represents the maintenance department at meetings to present plans, projects, programs and activities clearly and effectively utilizing reliable and well-organized data, and to discuss and/or coordinate matters involving mutual efforts with other departments
- Initiates and implements programs to mentor, develop and encourage performance strengths and improve deficiencies of supervisors and staff
- Directs efficient and regular inter and intra departmental meetings to ensure acceptable fleet reliability and unit personnel execution per expectations
- Maintains process maps with descriptions of each task and with each task mapped to a specific job description
- Manages the timely revision, accuracy, professionalism and acceptance of all technical publications, maintenance manuals, and company maintenance policies, and appropriate communication to the FAA
- Ensures compliance with quality assurance and safety procedures
- Other duties, projects, and responsibilities as assigned
- Negotiate and manage aircraft maintenance contracts
- Conduct routine employee evaluations to ensure alignment with leadership and values
Personal and interpersonal skills:
- Written Communication - Composes, reviews, edits and issues written materials for diverse audiences; communicates purpose in a succinct and organized manner, appropriate for context, time and place.
- Interpersonal Skills - Establishes and maintains constructive and cooperative interpersonal relationships with staff, peers, higher-level managers, staff of other organizations, and vendors. Adapts approach to maximize impact for different people and situations.
- Influencing/Negotiating - Uses persuasion to change the decisions, opinions, attitudes and behaviors of staff, higher-level management, peers, internal and external stakeholders. Brings opposing groups or individuals together in order to reconcile differences and accomplish organizational goals that affect a wide range of organizational activities.
- Flexibility - Is open to new ideas and adapts to changing work situations and priorities by modifying existing plans that affect maintenance operations, internal and external customers, and local stakeholder groups. Remains calm under pressure.
- Self-Direction - Sets goals and takes initiative in implementing ideas, systems and/or policies that affect functional and/or operational areas for the organization. Manages time effectively; encourages feedback; invests in self-development
- Problem Solving - Uses logic to identify and solve problems for organizational functions and/or operations. Considers options, where there are a various possible actions that may affect organizational functions and/or operations and/or the organization
- Leadership - Initiates and sustains action to accomplish the goals of the organization by guiding and motivating others and gaining the confidence and active support of subordinates, peers, and staff of other organizations, internal and external customers, and local stakeholder groups. Achieves voluntary commitment to shared values and goals and adapts leadership style to different situations. Understands his role and its impact on direct reports as well as the broader organization
- Planning and Evaluation - Establishes program/policy objectives and strategies for functional and/or operational area(s) within the department; identifies required resources and develops plans for carrying out the work in a timely manner. Ensures that programs and policies are being implemented and adjusted as necessary to accomplish the organization's mission
- Team Building - Encourages and facilitates cooperation and open communication and promotes team work at all levels within an organization; cooperates with staff, higher-level management, peers, internal and external stakeholders to accomplish the organization's goals
- Internal Controls/Integrity - Develops, implements, and monitors accounting and administrative controls for multiple functional and/or operational area(s). Exhibits personal integrity and promotes ethical conduct of employees.
Education and Experience required:
- 10 years of experience in maintenance
- 10 years of maintenance supervisory experience
- ERJ-145 experience
- Ability to manage high stress situations
- Highly knowledgeable in Company Manuals, Federal Aviation Regulations, Operations Specifications, Aircraft Flight Manuals, and other documents and data pertaining to the duties listed above
- Violation-free A&P License and IA Certificate required and current passport
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrate industry knowledge in all areas of the Maintenance Department with the ability to educate, guide, motivate and encourage others within the organization to achieve success
- Indoors and outdoors
- Able to lift 75 pounds
- Able to work at heights in excess of 10 feet
- Travel domestically and internationally on company business when required
- Flexible and unpredictable work schedule dictated by the constantly changing flight schedule and unscheduled maintenance demands
- Pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries. Subject to many interruptions
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations and to long irregular hours